Wednesday, January 14, 2009

#1 G-Comando

"Welcome back, Commander!". With this text Command and Conquer Tiberian Sun games welcome their player. Well, I try to start a second series of 50 Gs. I know normally I post on Sunday, but I couldn't make it this weekend. With some improvisation I managed to take some pictures. It is still painful, but I seem to be able to type with two hands.

5 years ago it was hard to find information about G-Shock on the Internet in English. With G-Peopleland I seemed unexpected to fill a need for many. More interesting was the start of a G-Shock forum on the WatchUSeek (WUS) watch portal. A forum dedicated to "plastic watches" on a well respected watch portal. Unbelievable!
The forum became popular fast, and since "two people know more than one", the G-Shock forum fast became a wealth of information. It was remarkable how much people had information about G-Shock.A few years ago the need for G-Shock information in Spanish became clear. Luckily I knew Adan from Madrid, who had helped quite some G-Shock owners. I know Adan from the beginning of the WUS G-Shock forum. As a big fan of the Raysman he often showed his on the sunny beach or his swimming pool.
Later the Rising Sun Watch Forum (RSWF) was created on Hablemos de Relojes (HdR, Talk about Watches). This became the platform for G-Shock collectors in Spanish language. The RSWF was actually a forum for all Japanese brands. Specially for G-Shock a new forum was created, G-Comando.
G-Comando is a pretty popular forum on HdR with pretty active members. In spring 2008 one of the members created a T-Shirt, which not only became popular on G-Comando, but also on the WUS G-Shock forum. They organized meetings for G-Shock fans. Check out the photo of Bram wearing my T-Shirt.In December I found out Adan was working on a new project for G-Comando. It was not even sure which model would been used, but soon I was glad to hear the popular DW-6900 was chosen.The first goal was to produce 30 watches, but later the total amount was reuced to 13 pieces. So you can consider this a very rare piece.When I told Adan I was interested, he told me you could reserve a number. My favorite number is 303, but that is a bit difficult if maximal 30 were made. The most logic number for was #3.Soon after I gave Adan my preferred number, I got conformation. This number was not yet claimed.I actually didn't know how fast this series would be ready, but I got before Christmas a mail the watch was on it's way. On the afternoon before New Years Eve, the doorbell rang. I got a package, that I immediately recognize as a Spanish Postal bag. Since I had a broken left elbow, it took me a while to strip the package, but finaly I got inside. Another box I managed to get open. Finally I could open the tin.The watch is based upon the DW-6900E-1ER model, a model that is released only in Europe, also know as "Rough Rowdy". Hasty as I was I looked everywhere for my unique serial number. I thought it was etched on the back. In daylight the EL backlight with the G-Comando logo was already very cool. When I looked closer, I found the serial number at the bottom of the EL. This must be the rarest G-Shock in my collection. Also interested in making Custom EL's? My friend Murphy (Japan) once made this page with great photo's.

This article is dedicated to Adan's enthusiasm and his G-Comando team!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is one COOL way of numbering a special and limited g-shock!

congrats on the watch and do get well soon Sjors.

cheers. dave.

Anonymous said...

this one really gorgeous
where can i buy this one?can u recommend me?
btw,i live in indonesia